We all went through it and yet somehow no adults seem to have figured out yet how to get the 12-19 year-old crowd to know for certain that
- You are not alone
- You are not ugly. People who call others “ugly” are being ugly.
- Not EVERYONE hates you.
- There’ll be sad songs that make you cry. They don’t freaking help anything. Stop listening to them.
- Do not call, text or drive past your ex’s house or person. It’s not helpful.
- School isn’t about algebra and sentence diagramming. It’s about life.
- Your haircut is stupid.
- Reading books gets you farther in life than the “right” shoes, purse, belt or phone ever will.
- Punctuality matters. Really.
- If you learn how to shake hands and look someone in the eye you will do well in both your private and your work lives.
- You should be the girl/guy who can be introduced to Mom or else you will never be good for anything other than a fling.
- It is not true that no one understands you. We totally understand you. We WERE you. And we know you’re acting dumb so get over yourself.
- Swearing has its place. Grown-ups do it, too. But it isn’t for street cred. It is only as a legitimate expression of emotion, amplitude or art.
- Yes, family is more important that friendship. We’ve all had friends who were practically family, but that entire 8th grade clique of yours isn’t going to be with you when you’re 59 and your mother dies or when you lose your job with no explanation after 32 years of service.
- 99% of what matters to you today you will not even be able to remember in 10 years.
- Skinny jeans are not for everyone. Find your own style that makes you look your best.
- You won’t die if you put down the electronics for a day. Interact with humans, for crying out loud.
- Your mom will eventually prove to have been right about, well, everything, ever.
- It’s called a “waistband” because it goes around your thighs. Just kidding. You look absurd.
- Your poetry is probably not that good.
If, one day, we can find a way to convince the young buckaroos of these facts, peace will reign. Doves will soar above the mountaintops. Rainbows and angels’ songs will permeate all the lands. All will be right with the world.